Prevention / Sunscreen GuidelinesUse sunscreen whenever you or your child will be outdoors or driving in a car.
- Apply sunscreen about 30 minutes before going outside.
- Remember lips, hands, ears, feet, shoulders and behind the neck too.
- Use 2 oz. of sunscreen per application.
- Reapply sunscreen often every two to three hours
- Reapply sunscreen if you have been sweating or swimming.
- Use waterproof sunscreen when swimming.
What You Should Look For:
- SPF (Sun Protection Factor) 30 or more
- Broad Spectrum UVA & UVB protection
- Contains either zinc oxide or titanium oxide
- Expiration Date
- Meets FDA guidelines
- Optional AAD (American Academy of Dermatology) seal of approval
- Products marked suntan or tanning lotion (these do not provide protection)
- PABA ingredients (problems with allergic dermatitis and photo sensitivity)
- Powders or Sprays (concern about inhalation)
- Products that combine bug spray with sunscreen (possible skin absorption of pesticide)
Thanks to our Sunscreen sponsors:
- Schering-Plough (Coppertone);
- Cutix, Inc. (Pre Sun); and,
- Del-Ray Demologicals (Blue Lizard).